What to Do When You Have Crickets in the Basement
While crickets are not dangerous, they are a nuisance and can potentially damage your belongings. If you believe you have crickets in your home, you’ll want to get rid of them quickly and efficiently.
Use the following guide to determine if you have crickets and learn how you can eliminate them on your own.
How Do Crickets Get Inside?
Crickets are tiny and can make their way into your home through cracks, openings in windows or door frames, or other entry points that aren’t properly sealed. Typically, crickets enter your house looking for water, food or shelter. They are most attracted to warm, damp environments, making the basement an ideal location for them to invade.
Signs You Have Crickets
Unlike some pests, crickets are easy to notice. Here are common signs to watch for that may indicate you have a cricket problem in your home:
- You see crickets inside: The surest way to know you have crickets is if you spot them. Mature house crickets are yellowish-brown with three dark bands on their heads, and they are slightly less than an inch long.
- You hear crickets: You may also notice the distinct chirping male house crickets produce by rubbing their front wings together. Crickets are nocturnal, so you’re most likely to hear these noises at night.
- You find chewed fabric: Since many crickets invade homes searching for food, another key sign of a cricket infestation is chewed material. Look for tiny marks less than 1 millimeter wide along the edges of fabric or newspapers.
How to Get Rid of Crickets Step by Step
Use the following steps and cricket prevention tips to rid your home of crickets and keep them out:
- Vacuum: Vacuuming is one of the easiest ways to eliminate crickets in plain sight.
- Use cricket bait and traps: Purchase cricket bait that’s safe to use indoors and set sticky traps to catch crickets that find their way inside.
- Seal potential entries: Ensure all cracks and entrances are sealed to keep more crickets from entering.
- Maintain your lawn properly: Trim your lawn short and remove any standing water near your home to discourage crickets from gathering near and entering your house.
Get Rid of Crickets in Your Basement With Expert Help From Pestech
Pestech Pest Solutions has been the trusted pest company since 1989. We can eliminate crickets and other insects in your home for good. Reach out to us for more information or schedule a service online today.