Mosquitoes are considered summer’s most dangerous pest. Surprisingly, they can remain active as long as the temperature is above 60, yikes! Not to mention that they can spread diseases like Zika Virus, for example.
We take mosquitoes very seriously, and so should you.
- Very small
- Brownish-black in color
- Unique wing venation
- Long thin mouth parts
- Aquatic environments capable of retaining water for 5 or more days
- Elevator pits
- Basements and sub-basements
How to Prevent Mosquito Infestations
- Eliminate or reduce mosquito-breeding sites around the home. This includes birdbaths, flowerpots, grill covers, baby pools, unopened swimming pools, tires and other objects where water collects.
- Remove unneeded vegetation or trash from around any source of standing water that cannot be changed, dumped or removed.
- Screen windows, doors, and other openings with fine mesh, sealing around all screen edges and keeping doors and windows shut to prevent entry.
- Use mesh that is 18X18 strands per inch, or finer.
- Minimize outside activity between dusk and dawn, when mosquitoes are most active. But, also take proactive measures during the day to protect against daytime biters, like the Asian tiger mosquito the main carrier of Zika.
- When outdoors, wear long-sleeve shirts, long pants, socks and shoes.
- Use an insect repellent containing DEET, picaridin or oil of lemon-eucalyptus on exposed skin whenever outdoors.
Learn More About Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes live in almost every part of the world. Many types of mosquitoes bite humans and animals, causing itchy, raised welts. Mosquitoes that do not spread diseases are commonly known as nuisance mosquitoes because they represent an annoyance, but are not harmful. On the other hand, some mosquitoes, known as vectors, can spread dangerous pathogens […]
Having pests in your home is annoying, but pest infestations can also cause problems beyond annoyance. Some pests are known to carry diseases that can spread to humans, so promptly managing your pest problem is essential to your health. In this guide, we’ll discuss some common NY pest diseases, what signs to look out for and how […]